Lead

Jan 17 12 4:36 PM

Tags : :

Using Molasses, Honey, and Sugar Water on Marijuana Plants

Yet another topic often debated by many Cannabis growers, is whether or not adding ingredients like Molasses, Honey, or Sugar Water increase a plants health, and quality of the buds it produces.
In the following article, we are going to go over the different uses growers claim sugar based products have in the Marijuana grow room, and how you can use it to grow better Cannabis.

What Does Sugar Do for Marijuana Plants?

There are 4 primary reasons most growers report using sugars in their Cannabis grows.
  • It sweetens the flavor of your smoke
    One of the most touted reasons to use sugar in your cannabis grows is to increase the flavors of your buds. This is something we have experienced firsthand in some of the grows we have been a part of in the past. However many other growers suggest that sugar does not improve the flavor of smoke at all, and that this is just a myth.

• It helps to bulk up the buds
    Another benefit claimed to be a myth by some growers, and to be fact by others, reportedly adding sugar to your Cannabis grows will increase the size of your buds. We have experienced some of our biggest buds while use sugar in our nutrient programs. However without a proper scientific control we can’t give you any exact numbers yet.
  • It helps to harden the buds
    Some growers suggest that by using sugar you can actually increase the hardness of the Marijuana buds. While not as widely accepted, this may be a case of strain specific results, and not as easily duplicated.
  • It feeds enzymes and other beneficial bacterium's in the grow media
    One of the only benefits not debated is the usefulness of sugar in soils or mediums that have an active living root system filled with Mycorrhizae. Sugars and carbohydrates help to feed the colonies of bacteria to keep them healthy, a byproduct of which is healthy plants.
  • What Forms of Sugar Can I Feed My Marijuana Plants?

There are numerous companies that make different types of sugar based products. Some of the more popular sugar products are: Bud Candy, FloraNectar, Hydro Honey, Sugar Daddy, Grandma’s Molasses.
    As far as cost Grandma’s Molasses is the cheapest, and can be found at almost any local grocery store.
    As far as quality, in our experience Hydro Honey by Humboldt County’s Own was the best. This is probably because it contains 88% molasses along with other ingredients that are formulated to be more stable in hydroponic environments that straight molasses is.

So Should I Use Sugar Products on My Marijuana Plants?

With such a highly debated topic, I would advise you to absolutely try it for yourself. What works for one person doesn’t always work for another.
    With so many variations in strains of Marijuana, Nutrient Products, and Environments, it is more than likely some growers will have more success using sugar than other growers.
    Personal experience is one of the best teachers!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 25 12 4:27 PM

if you do get molasses, make sure it is the unsulfurated version.  Also if you look on the labels of most of those additives, you will see that they use molasses or beet sugar or honey as one of the ingrediants.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 27 12 4:27 PM

Tried along time ago and will never do that again...it is a weed...treaat it as such. I remember my Mom talking about adding sugar water to her house plants...not recommended..why not try some coka-cola!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 27 12 6:38 PM

molasses here.. and I stop once the flushing starts.
    QUESTION:
    how many of yas continue useing thru flush?????????? Im asking bcuz i dont know if its ok to or not, so i dont! The only time i recall doing so, I got black tar lookin ash (a good sign of a poor flush) and it didnt wanna burn proper. HOWEVER, on that SAME plant, I THINK... I might not have flushed her proper as i usually do (2-3 times b4 chop at 5+ gallons per flush per plant, of clean, PH'd water) oh and i use a chemical flush (any of the made for flushing, chemical flushes available) on the 1st  flush I use that, wait 15 minutes to?? 1/2 hr+ then i use a clean ph'd water flush. I use that to break up/ loosen up the salts and chemical residue so it flushes easier/cleaner.. or so i hope...hehe Peace
    PS
    LETS SIGN THEM PETITIONS FOLKS!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 27 12 10:33 PM

A lot of people will use a multitude of different products that has some kind of molasses or beet sugar or honey or whatever to give the plant that extra push to uptake the last of the nutrients in the medium and then they go into the last two to four weaks of pure water to flush them out. Humbolt, AN, GO, Techo, you name it, they all have this type of product.  None of them uses it once they get into the flush mode.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 28 12 9:43 AM

Very interesting topic if you grow in soil. I think that is why i changed up to Aeroponics. I was getting so frustrated with soil. Between not knowing what the soil was doing or not doing, spider mites, mold, mildew, proper moisture and over fertalizing it was agggghhhh from plant to plant and from harvest to harvest. I am not saying that using container growing is bad, it just takes a lot of time to regulate and manage. My buddy who grows in soil washes out a week before harvest and uses fox farm nutrients per their schedule and has great results. With My Aeroponic system I just keep the reservoir filled, keep the ppm nutrients at around 350 and pH between 6 and 7 and watch them grow. I read how people using hydroponics have to flush too. But I have yet to have to flush. The bud always burns to a nice white ash and has great taste. The nutrients i use are Blue Mountain Organics, no smell and disolves in water very well. I think air is important, and getting air into the soil is very very important.
    I have been wondering what to do with my stalks and roots. Any Ideas?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 28 12 3:10 PM

make a tincture with ur stems!!!!not roots!!!since roots have no cannabinoids!there are some on stems though so make a tincure you make it just like butter for baking but instead of butter use AGAVE NECTAR and once you have heated it up and all the cannabinoids are disperced into the agave nectar strain cool and place 3-10 drops under the tuonge!depending on how strong it is

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 28 12 4:42 PM

I believe i AM GOING to try making a tinc or SOMPIN out of my stems! I waste ONLY the large leaves and stems and roots. All good trimmings go into either butter or hash. Been told we make the BEST BUTTER! ( approx 5oz clippings per 2 elbows of butter) lbs= elbows...= LOL at stupid Chit!
       Prior to now..lol Ive been saving my stems (main ones) to make stick houses etc. (mini log cabins)
    Where might a person find the "agave nectar"?
    THANKS!!
    Peace

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jul 18 12 5:26 PM

I've heard a lot about Molasses. So I researched the ingredients, Grandmas seemed to be a favorite.  Though if you look at the raw ingredients between the brands. I had found Brer Rabbit Blackstrap had all the carbs & natural ingredients that these plants love.
    Some 3 yrs ago I had done a test using Grandmas, Hydro store version, & accidently found Brer Rabbit on the shelf of a supermarket, comparing labels, this stuff is all natural, with more carbs & 2ndary nutes the plants loved!,
     No other brand compared. Not even at the hydro store. So I gave it a try.Also did a comparison. Hands down this is the only stuff I use. The weight of the buds not to be beet. the flavor changed slightly to the richer side in flavor, especially in soil or soiless.
     I do not know how much if growing strictly Hydro. I did 1`plant in DWC. NOTE: Pain in the "A" to clean air stones. Use hot water & your pump to blow clean them.
    Also I stop feeding 2 weeks before harvest also I was using Amino to cocktail.

Click here to view the attachment

Building,Constructing,Creating,Alliances for Successful Growth Relationships!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 14 12 1:05 AM

I grow, in ground, under 12 high, tube greenhouse.  I use molasses WITH sulfur during veg stage as a heavy floral spray mixed with a stinky but kick ass fish fert. and straight nitrogen (45-0-0) pellets that I sprinkle around the base of the plant. The sulfur in the molasses is a natural fungicide and is needed for protein production...don't trust me, I could be high....http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/Soilfacts/AG-439-15_Archived/AG-439-15.pdf
    Once I get ready to flower, I feed only water for one week then switch over to a honey and a flower boost (5-44-8) mix, which shouldn't be sprayed on foliage but watered directly into the soil or pot.  I buy honey in 5 gallon pails from the local bee folks.
    I start heavy on the bloom boost and slowly taper off so that by about the last 2 weeks before harvest  I'm feeding nothing but honey and water right up till the day.  Timing is tricky at first, keep a simple journal!
    You end up with a sweeter, cleaner taste and your yields will increase as you're not starving your plants of food (honey=simple sugar=plant food) for the last two weeks.  Buds are "fluffier" but dense. Kushes do great with this.
    P.S.- I also used a mix of honey and garlic on my foot rot (I was a sailor for a million years) and it cured it.  Honey is a natural anti biotic, anti fungal too!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 14 12 11:29 AM

Honey huh... cool.... SERIOUSLY... I had a guy tell me his buddy uses SNO CONE SYRUP. Likes it bcuz of the many flavors it comes in. HMMM? Any other cRaZy ideas out there???

Quote    Reply   

marvin

superstar

#15 [url]

Aug 14 12 4:37 PM

I grow, in ground, under 12 high, tube greenhouse.  I use molasses WITH sulfur during veg stage as a heavy floral spray mixed with a stinky but kick ass fish fert. and straight nitrogen (45-0-0) pellets that I sprinkle around the base of the plant. The sulfur in the molasses is a natural fungicide and is needed for protein production...don't trust me, I could be high....http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/Soilfacts/AG-439-15_Archived/AG-439-15.pdf
    Once I get ready to flower, I feed only water for one week then switch over to a honey and a flower boost (5-44-8) mix, which shouldn't be sprayed on foliage but watered directly into the soil or pot.  I buy honey in 5 gallon pails from the local bee folks.
    I start heavy on the bloom boost and slowly taper off so that by about the last 2 weeks before harvest  I'm feeding nothing but honey and water right up till the day.  Timing is tricky at first, keep a simple journal!
    You end up with a sweeter, cleaner taste and your yields will increase as you're not starving your plants of food (honey=simple sugar=plant food) for the last two weeks.  Buds are "fluffier" but dense. Kushes do great with this.
    P.S.- I also used a mix of honey and garlic on my foot rot (I was a sailor for a million years) and it cured it.  Honey is a natural anti biotic, anti fungal too!

-smallhillorchids

Wow you learn something new everyday never heard of this

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 16 12 3:51 AM

I forgot to mention that, if you try the honey thing for your plants or your feet, that you get "raw" honey.  The stuff from the grocery stores is usually pasteurized, cooking out all the good amylase and enzymes.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 16 12 4:55 AM

BTW... when I said anymore CRAZY Ideas out there ?.... I was referring to the use of sno cone syrup... NOT the honey suggested :-)
    I try listening to any and all new Ideas or suggestions. Especially when presented well as smallhill had done.
    My daughter had given me a chunk of FRESH Honey not even hours old from the hive.. and OH YEA!!!! That was THE BEST EVER! I thought..I'd take a lil taste to humor her, to make her happy that Dad tried it. KNOWING.. Honey is Honey.....
    WRONG! I ate the whole 2" x 3" chunk!!!!! And would love more!!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 28 12 11:19 AM

10 days before harvest I do an ice water flush.  The cold is to tell the plant the end is near.  The flush is to remove some N from the soil for a better/smother taste.  The last gal of ice flush I add two tbls of organic blackstrap molasses.  I then use only the molasses during the final week of grow.  The carbos in the molasses is all the plant gets for any energy it requires.  after that it is one to two days in the dark before it is cut-up, dried, and cured.  Some of the smoooothest smoke for sure.

Quote    Reply   
    Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help